• 2 pounds ground grass-fed beef
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
• 4 Tablespoons butter or ghee
• 1/4 teaspoon dried chile red pepper flakes (omit if not wanting to make it spicy)
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 1/2 cups whole grain bread crumbs soaked in raw cream –(for gluten free or Paleo substitute 2-3 Tablespoons coconut flour or for just gluten free cooked brown rice)
• 1 egg (increase to 3 eggs if using coconut flour)
• 1 Tablespoon fish sauce or coconut aminos (if gluten free or paleo)
• 6 ounces tomato paste, halved
Saute onions, carrots, and celery in butter or ghee until soft. Add red pepper flakes (if using), thyme, salt and pepper and stir around. Meanwhile, soak bread crumbs in cream (if using the bread crumbs).
Have a 9 inch by 13 inch pyrex pan ready. Using your hands, mix meat with sautéed vegetables, soaked bread (or coconut flour or cooked rice), 3 ounces (half the can) of tomato paste, egg and optional fish sauce or coconut aminos. Form into a loaf and set in the pan. Top with remaining tomato paste. Add about 1 ½ cup of water to the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours.
Optional: add 1/4# of organ meat. It’s tasteless in the meatloaf and adds nutrient value!