• 6 ounces crème fraiche
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Pinch nutmeg
• Handful of chopped fresh dill, plus some small sprigs, for garnish
• 4 pastured eggs
• 4 pieces cooked pastured and/or uncured bacon, crumbled
• Red lumpfish roe, for garnish, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
2. Season the crème fraiche with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
3. Place a heaped tablespoon of crème fraiche in the bottom of a ramekin, followed by a little chopped dill and crumbled bacon. Crack an egg on top, add a second tablespoon of crème fraiche and sprinkle with a pinch each of salt, pepper and nutmeg. Repeat with 3 more ramekins.
4. Place the ramekins in a baking dish and pour enough lukewarm water into the dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the egg yolks are set to your liking.
5. If you like, finish each serving with a teaspoon of red lumpfish roe and a sprig or two of dill.
Makes 4 servings