- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound Italian sausage (best if pastured)
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup pizza sauce (best if from a glass jar)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked (best if pastured)
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella (omit if strict Paleo)
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the skin of the squash gives when you press on it. Then reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Once squash is done cooking, remove threads and place in an 8×8 greased baking dish.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and onion. Cook until pink no longer remains in the sausage and it is broken up into pieces.
- Add pizza sauce, dried herbs, spinach and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well.
- Add sausage mixture to the 8×8 dish and mix well with spaghetti squash threads.
- Lastly, add whisked eggs to the baking dish and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes (**check cheese at 20 minutes to make sure it’s not burning, cover for remainder of time if you see it browning too much) or until the top of the mixture doesn’t give when you press on it in the middle of the dish.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a side salad.